Re: gum printing

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/25/03-10:27:49 PM Z

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Dave Rose wrote:

> ...Quinacridone can be weak or strong, depending on the
> source. For example, I use Winsor Newton Permanent Rose at 1g/10 ml while I
> mix Block X Magenta at 1g/125 ml. Both are "quinacridone" according to the
> manufacturers. It varies so much from one source to the next. In case
> anyone's wondering,

You haven't seen weak until you're tried Rowney Permanent Rose... It's
also a quinacridone, but I find it almost impossible to use enough to get
beyond pink. I don't think it's the source, incidentally, since
Quinacridone is a synthetic color & presumably all made in the same
quinacridone factory. It's more likely how much they use vs. how much
filler.

Which goes to show another problem with the Wilcox book. He gave Rowney
"Permanent Rose" a fine review, without noticing its lack of pigmenting
power.

J.