Re: salt print questions

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 02/14/03-09:51:22 PM Z

> >6. Anyone try printing toward the sun with tissue paper diffusion to
> >increase contrast? Why technically does the sun produce the lowest
> >contrast--caillier effect?
>

> Who told you that the sun produces the lowest contrast? If the
> comparison is BL tubes my experience is the opposite.
>
> Sandy
Thanks for the answers, Joe, Ed, Sandy,
      My bad, Sandy. I checked my notes, and it seems contrast, according
to your opinion is from greatest to least:
1. north sky outside
2. sun
3. UV lightbox

Interestingly, this is what I have found in researching about 15 books,
including Reilly (enough to make me go crazy)(I mean, the conflicting info):
    "The sun is the least contrasty of all exposures. Then UV is a bit more
contrasty, with the north sky on a sunny, bright day, giving the most
contrast. A UV bank close to the print will definitely flatten it. If you
want to decrease contrast, lay a piece of tissue paper over the frame or
move the frame further from the light source. Others say it increases
contrast."
     OH my, I guess I just need to pull out a piece of tissue paper and test
it, but I couldn't figure out WHY they would say it increased contrast to
use the tissue paper!
     Joe, your statement, below, explains all; I wasn't thinking that Reilly
(a seeming authority) might have different supplies back then.
<from Joe>"I have messed with statement by Rielly this for a long time. My
opinion
(sticking my neck out some here) is that the papers were much different when
Mr. Reilly was writing his book. Many of the papers that Reilly used were
different than what we have today. The actual image of an untoned salted
paper print is usually a nasty brick red after fixing. You can spend a good
deal of time chasing your tail trying to get what Reilly says exactly. If
you want a brown print, tone it. If you want a neutral to cold tone print,
tone it."
Thanx again, all.
Chris