Re: Homemade vacuum easel

From: Dave Rose (cactuscowboy@attbi.com)
Date: 02/07/03-10:39:03 PM Z

It's OK to consider "the physics involved" but in actual practice it's much
easier to simply tape a sheet of polyester over the vacuum frame, shove the
negative/paper underneath, turn on the vacuum and expose. The clear
polyester I use does not significantly alter exposure times - certainly no
more than glass would. At 1.5 to 4 minutes per exposure, the "extra layer
in the light path" is inconsequential. I feel obliged to mention again that
dust is not a problem. I'm using a product ("Kleerbase" anti static
polyester) that's designed for high volume and high quality pre-press
applications.

I'm using negatives from 4x5" to 16x20". A "standard skirt of plastic" is a
novel idea but would be very cumbersome and quite unnecessary under my
working conditions. Am I the only person on this list actually using a
homemade vacuum easel with a polyester oversheet? If so, trust me. It
works.

Best regards,
Dave in Wyoming