Re: Bank o' BLs: Spacing?

From: Joe Tait (jtait@texas.net)
Date: 02/07/03-05:21:56 PM Z

> Part of the confusion may stem from the fact that there are many
> options that all lead more or less to the same result. Then again
> maybe I just did not explain things very well!!

Hell no Sandy, your article was excellent; I just don't even have the basic
understanding of what components make a damn lamp! Plus, there seems to be some
unspoken hush-hush on the exact specifics of building a UV unit.....does someone
own a patent or something? I have been able to finally find clear info, but it
seemed difficult to find!

> The ballasts are already fitted into the dual fixtures.
>

> >If I don't do that and build from scratch, are the three components a tube,
> >ballast & fixture?
>

> Components would be tube, ballast, wiring, bi-pin holders, and a box
> to fit this into.
>

> >How do you space the tubes closely if you go with pre-fab fixtures from Home
> >Depot?
>

> You don't. It is impossible to get spacing much tighter than about
> 1.5" with the two-tube units. That is one of the reason why some
> people assemble with the bi-pin holders. However, my opinion is that
> there is really no advantage in speed of exposure to having the tubes
> spaced any closer than 1.5" so you might just as well take advantage
> of the simplicity of construction that comes with the pre-assembled
> two-tube units.

I certainly trust you and your experience. I am going to go the simple route to
get going quicker and maybe tackle building one from scratch later on.

> BTW, if you need a unit to expose 20X30" you should consider the 48"
> tubes. In most cases there is very little difference between a
> two-tube 24" unit and a two-tube 48" unit, which means you might be
> able to assemble a large unit for less money with the 48" tubes.

I'll definitely price it out first. I settled on a 20x30 today, and looked at
bulb prices awhile back, the 24" were recommended to me from someone else who
claimed that the output was better and the 48" tubes seemed quite expensive;
although obviously I wouldn't be buying as many....

-Joe