Re: Flatbed scanner transparency adapter?

From: Tony K ^lt;tonyk@digital-lucida.com.au>
Date: 12/18/03-04:23:57 PM Z

Dwayne,

Flat bed scanners are not ideal for film but do a passable job providing you
have got good scanning software. I find that for 35mm it is really pushing
the limits of what of a flat bed scanner can do, larger film formats produce
more acceptable results.

You should perhaps look at whether a version of either Silverfast or VueScan
exists for the scanner you are considering.

I don't use HP scanners so I can't comment on it technically, typically to
get the best results from film you need software that will allow you to
adjust the point of focus (as film is usually raised off the glass) this is
very critical with small formats like 35mm. You also want to be able to
adjust density range & colour with a variety of tools such as levels &
curves.

Check out all of the specs first: true optical resolution, dynamic range
software etc... and get some of your slides scanned before buying.

A flat bed can do a decent job for some purposes, it won't come close to
matching a dedicated film scanner however.

Tony Kelly
Digital Lucida

http://www.digital-lucida.com.au