Re: Just Kallitype Now, was Re: Platinum Heresy, was Re: Satista

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/28/03-01:23:40 PM Z

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Sandy King wrote:

> Your note reminds me of a question I have about something in Carmen
> Lizardo's article on vandyke and kallitype printing in the last issue
> of PFP. Is she on this list? If not, please pass my comment and
> question on to her.

I don't know if she's on the list now, but I'll see she gets your comment
-- it's possible that her particular developer (Hall's) reacted
differently, or some other variable... Or even, being of an experimental
nature, she might have contaminated her developer and tossed it before
getting to that point !

However, a propos of the discussion of platinum vs kallitype, I'd agree
100% with her assessment that kallitype frees you to "push limits,
experiment and work large." As I recall, she was working 24 by 30 inches
at least some of the time -- with digital negatives from a large HP
printer. I don't think that's a size one undertakes casually and
"experimentally" in platinum. (I certainly wouldn't.) As for the
relative difficulty, she says that although fixing is an extra step, the
clearing is much quicker with kalli, so the total time is comparable.

I do remember, for what it's worth, the advice that came with ammonium
citrate developer from B&S for platinu/palladium -- that the more you use
it the better it gets. Is that still operative ?

Judy