New to list as well as photography and looking for some insight...

From: Alicia Bourbeau (mutsy789@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/10/03-10:29:10 PM Z

wow...hi everyone. i am new too this list as well as photography. i have
always been fascinated with photography and i think i may make it my career.
i recently graduated high school were i took many photo classes
(unfortunately it was public school so i trully didnt learn as much as i
could have!) and for this past year i have been attending college. i was
attending college to become a mortician...well my dreams were crushed after
being awakened by many factors in my life. then my wonderful grama brought
up the topic of my fascination with photography "...why dont you pick that
up again..." anyway after giving it some consideration i have found myself
to be put back at ease with the idea of becoming a photographer. i am very
new to this art form. yes i know the basics: certain aspects to look for in
a photograph, i feel that i have some form of a photographers eye (i have
been into art/drawing/painting for a long tims so atleast i have a knack for
art), these are also accompanied by basic knowledge of the dark room...yet i
am boggled by the f-stop/aperture/chemicals/ termanology/ etc. i was
wondering if anyone has any tips on where and how i should start. i have a
small, and i mean small, collection of books on the basics of photography. i
assume that the best way to learn is to research the art form and learn from
experience. i also have no access to a dark room :-( im considering going
back to my highschool teacher and seeing if she would allow me to use the
darkroom on campus. atleast ill have some start. please if anyone could give
me some insight and guidance into this new fascinating world i would trully
appreciate it, along with any choice reading!! thanks a lot
~Alicia