Re: Ethical issues - hit "delete" key if they bother you

From: Tillman Crane (tillman@tillmancrane.com)
Date: 09/21/02-08:06:59 AM Z

Marcos,
I am not a street photographer. I was a photojournalist for a decade
and worked in "news" situations. I stopped being a photojournalist
for many reasons but being uncomfortable photographing those in
distress was chief among them.

Working with large cameras I can't hide. Even when the " legal" right
to make images of people homes from the street is mine, I don't do
it. I have to be comfortable where I am working and I have to have
permission to work where I am. That's just me.

I have been working on a project for a non profit for over a year and
photographing peoples homes was part of it. When I had permission I
made some good images. When I didn't I felt like a thief. Finally I
put the 5x7 away and used a Hassleblad to "get more images" as I was
asked. But it still felt like a drive by shooting.

We all have to work with in our own comfort zone. Mine is to get
permission if at all possible.
It sounds like we came to similar conclusions.
tillman crane