Re: Digital negs from pigment printers?

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/15/02-11:56:04 PM Z

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 Ender100@aol.com wrote:
> Hi Judy,
>
> You are right, the 1160 Driver does not have SUPERMicroweave, only
> Microweave. It does have a choice between Fine Dithering and Error
> Diffusion, I would pick Error Diffusion. Some of the choices are only
> available if you pick the right media types. Try changing media types (Try
> one of the Photgraphic paper choices) til you get the most choices regarding
> dots per inch, microweave, etc. The different media types will cause the
> printer to lay down more or less ink. you can see this when you print a step

Yes, I've found "media type" important in getting a good curve -- & since
change would require a new curve, I wouldn't change casually... The
difference, besides the options Epson deigns to permit with them (I hate
it when computers think for me -- no matter how bad I get, they're worse),
is I realize supposed to be amount of ink, but I think they exaggerate.
I don't think there really are that many changes -- but they do it for
show, to advertise all their paper types.

> tablet with the different media types. Many of the professional printers use
> this fact to adjust their printing.

That's something Dan Burkholder covers as well, tho I always switched them
around --- I thought you were *supposed* to.

> They may use a media type quite
> different from what they are printing on and have that further tuned by using
> a custom printer profile.

What's a custom printer profile?

> Also, some Epson drivers will limit your choices of ppi and microweave if you
> choose to print with black ink only... this is a bummer. I suppose they
> thought that you were going to print a memo instead of a photo with this
> setting.

The computer "thinking' for me again. But that's an interesting point --
I'd been planning to try some color -- to simulate black...So that might
get "Microweave" ? (One problem, however, is that my densitometer is
black and white.)

BTW, the vertical texture I was trying to describe was like fine window
screen. I was reading some old list files today and found it there.
Perfect description, tho I don't remember now who said it. (The list had
some excellent digital exchanges in 1996 and '7. And nobody said off
topic ! Does anyone know where David Fokos is now?)

cheers and thanks,

Judy