Re: GUM - STARCH - ?????

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 11/15/02-02:33:15 AM Z

Clay Harmon wrote:

> I am sure there are still some smiles on the list at my attempt at using PVA
> as a size about 8 months ago. I tried to remove it with hot water soaks,
> and then resized with gelatin. All efforts resulted in the same thing: the
> gum just washed off during development. I wonder if I put one of those
> prints in the hot sun if I could fry an egg on it? I'm sure it wouldn't
> stick.

Hi Clay,
I'm sure everyone has long forgotten about that, and if we were smiling
then it was only because you were having such a good time over it. We've
all done things in our experimenting that didn't work (okay, I'll speak
only for myself, *I* certainly tried a lot of different things in my
early experimenting wth gum, some of which didn't work very well) so I'd
never laugh at someone else's experiments. The only mistake you made was
to use the stuff too concentrated. Using gelatin over an already
too-heavy size wouldn't work because once the tooth of the paper is
covered up, covering it up more isn't going to help. But I'm confused;
my recollection is that you used acrylic medium, not PVA. Am I
remembering incorrectly?
Katharine Thayer