Re: Woodburytypes

From: John Cremati (johnjohnc@core.com)
Date: 11/07/02-07:08:18 PM Z

I am fasicnated with this process as well... If you come across anything ,
please list your findings if posible ... What little I have read on it came
from Cassell's "The Cyclopaedia Of Photography" c.1912 It briefly states
that it is a photomechanical process invented by Mr. W.B. Woodbury in 1865
with a patent date of July 24 1865..It is a relief image obtained on
bichromated gelatine , covered with lead and the two forced together in a
press....A modification of the process is called a " Stannotype" in which a
hydrolic press was not necessary... There are several formula and
variations for the process listed in the book and the process of
development . Once the relief is formed it is then covered with tinfoil ,
and put thru rollers and then the tin with the relief now on it is copper
plated to give it strength..
       .There is so much that I can not post it all as I do not have a
scanner and the article would take me a very long time to type... Maybe
someone on the list has this capability...