Re: UFOs in my negatives

From: Michael Healy (mjhealy@kcnet.com)
Date: 11/02/02-11:13:55 PM Z

Shannon, I'm sorr to say that I've never had the privilege of standing in a
creekbed up to my butt in an 8x10. In fact, here in AZ, we don't "do"
creekbeds. They imply water, know what I'm saying? But that's an unrelated
line of esoterica. Meanwhile, if you need any help, please call. I'm always
chafing for new and demanding experiences.

So listen, I've shot a lot of images in the studio, using hot lights, where
I had no choice but to push the lights w/in the lens's coverage. As several
people already have reported to you, there is going to be lens flair. Sun or
lights, it doesn't matter. The thing is, there is a very simple way to tell
whether this is going to be a problem. Just walk around to the front of your
camera and peer directly into your lens from the same axis as your subject.
If there's any flare, you're going to see it on your front element. Now hold
a hand or a gray card up to it, and jockey it, and you should be able to
judge what you need to do to block the direct light. If there's no flair
shining on the front element, you won't have flair. If there is, but you can
block it, then you shouldn't have flair. Probably this sounds
low-rider-like, but it works. Try it.

Mike Healy