RE: mordancage

Christina-

> It is 20 or 40 *volume*, which is (if I figure it correctly
> mathematically) is somewhere around 6-12%.  I divided volume by
> 3.4 (is this right?)

I admit that I've been told - but I can't recall the conversion factor. I'm
happy to take your word for it.

> At any rate, I get it from a beauty supply place in a concentrate
> of 135 volume and dilute with water accordingly.

I also purchase mine this way - but opt to purchase it at 40 Volume.  It's
so cheap - and goes a long way. I agree the difference between 20 volume and
40 volume is one of speed of reaction.... That being said - I cannot
recommend drug store strength....

You can also buy 100 volume for a fairly reasonable price from Tri-Ess in
Burbank - but they won't ship it if the weather is hot.

> I have been experimenting with Forte Polywarmtone Elegance fiber and RC,
> Ilford coldtone RC, Ilford MGIV glossy...I think that is it at the moment.

You might also try the Kentmere Warmtone - it was recommended to me
especially by Craig Stevens, and I've found it yield very beautiful reddish
browns....

> Thus I have a stack I can continue to experiment with at the moment, and
will
> continue to test this yellowing thing more.

Well, prints that have been through mordancage will continue to change for
days, week, months! afterwards.  Especially those that retained the delicate
emulsion veiling - which a thorough washing would certainly destroy.  Is
this what you're referring to??

Ain't we got fun?!?!

Ciao for now - Jon