RE: Another kallitype note

Sandy,

Sounds like it may be a problem with your water - one which, apparently,
only strikes in some locations.  Terry King started experiencing it on salt
prints one day a few years ago (& has had it ever since) & I've always had
it with the water here: what usually happens is that silver print-outs
develop brown to greenish-grey general staining during the final wash, but
in severe cases it can occur as soon as prints hit the first wash... or so
Terry said.  Toning makes no difference, apart from modifying the stain
colour.

The cure (if this is your complaint) is to give the FIRST wash in pure
water.  Boiled and cooled water works just as well.  Huge volumes are not
required: for a 20X24 I'd suggest three or four changes of 1 litre each,
allowing about 3 minutes each (with agitation).  After that, continue
washing with tap water if you feel more washing is needed.  (Note that
boiled water will become cloudy as the silver nitrate washes out, but that's
not a problem; distilled/deionised, etc. remains clear.)

My best guess is that water containing enough dissolved oxygen forms some
silver oxide with the residual silver nitrate, and one of the things boiling
does is drive off dissolved O.  Why the staining doesn't usually appear
until during the final wash, I've no idea.

Liam