RE: "Good" Wagner

From: Robkin, Eugene (erobkin@uwc.edu)
Date: 03/01/02-02:06:56 PM Z

Actually, my source lists it the way I quoted it. The internet shows some
variations. The tranlation is "There is no disputing about taste." The
translation I've seen attributed to the other version is "Taste is not
debatable." Same meaning but different parts of speech. I suspect, but
don't know for sure, that the version with the explicit "est" is more common
because many are more comfortable with something that looks like a specific
for "is." One of the variations available is "De gustibus non disputandum
est." There are many variations on the -um or -em ending and whether or not
the est comes last or fourth.

In the abscence of a genuine Latin scholar on the list the proverb is self
referencing.

--30--

ER