Re: Experiment gone awry

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 06/15/02-03:01:14 AM Z

Clay Harmon wrote:

> Yowww... I think I like them as straight platinum. Yes indeed, that's what I
> intended in the first place.

Yeah, just figure you've got a laminated platinum print.....

> Have you used the acrylic sizing for gum? If so, what dilution do you
> recommend, 1:6 or higher?

Well, this is interesting. I just remembered a post from Harry Bonham
who recommended acrylic sizing to the list a while back; I looked up his
post and he says he recommends diluting at 1:1, just as you did. I
suspect, like everything in gum, it depends on what brand you're using.
I've never used Liquitex and I don't know which brand Harry uses, but I
use Daniel Smith, which is very concentrated, and find 1:8 or 1:9 works
well; anything stiffer tends to the teflon effect you described. I think
you just have to experiment with your brand and find out what works for
you. And maybe experiment on a scrap of paper this time? Just a
thought.... Actually, I'd really like that if you use pyro negatives
for your gum and platinum, because I have yet to see a straight gum from
a pyro negative and would like to see what one looks like. I've made
pyro negatives myself, but they never seemed to stain, so my "pyro"
negatives are really just silver negatives. I'm still interested in the
spectral density quality of the pyro negative as it relates to platinum
and to gum; that question has never been resolved to my satisfaction.
Katharine