"Photograph From Nature" not at Sotheby's

Gumprint@aol.com
Date: 02/17/02-12:53:33 AM Z

> ~~~~~~Also on display and up for auction is THE VERY FIRST
> photography, by Nicephore Niepce! ~~~~~
>
> If all that isn't enough, there's a very interesting and
> rather large gouche landscape by Daguerre.
> The two catalogs from the auction are also pricesless and a must for
> those in love with the "primitives," as I am. Go quickly to Southeby's
> however. The show is only up through Feb. 18.

Just returned from the show. [What a drive.] There are handwritten notes by
Niepce at Sotheby's, but not the famous image.

The first "photograph" which as far as I know is still part of the collection
at the University of Texas at Austin donated by Helmut Gernsheim, is titled
"Photograph From Nature" taken in 1826 of rooftops (see "A Concise History of
Photography" 1965 by Helmut Gernsheim page 21).

The image at Sotheby's (I am unclear who the artist is), is described
completely in French in the catalogue (I don't speak or read beyond 50 words)
and is not what the director referred to as a photograph. He told me an
engraving was covered with a piece of paper which had been coated with a
light sensitive emulsion. That paper was pressed against the engraving and
then onto a copper sheet. That in turn was "developed" in some manner and
then it was used to make a duplicate of the original engraving. I may not
have the details absolutely correct, but the gist of it, to me, was that it
was a copy of an image that was not taken with a camera, nor was the
duplicate taken with a camera. In theory he could have made many copies of
this image but only the one at Sotheby's presently exists.

I don't mean to start up a stink about the definition of a photograph is
here. Only that the image that I was hoping to see, was not there. The "first
photography" shown was an image which was entirely different. It had it's own
merits and if anyone is trekking to New York or Paris to see the image
"Photograph From Nature," it's not at Sotheby's. To satisfy my own curiosity,
I will follow up on a call to Austin Tuesday after the (American) holiday.
While a student of Helmut's in the 70's, he said it was not to be separated
from his collection but in today's world, it could happen.

If anyone needs catalogue information I can provide it. There are actually
three in this set, the second two available with a phone call, but not
on-line. The first may be available as back stock online at a reduced cost.
The snippet show was wonderful and catalogues beautifully produced.

Carole