Book by Christopher James

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 02/08/02-02:57:49 PM Z

OK, I tested the contrast control method for vandyke described by
Christopher James on p. 143 of The Book of Alternative Photographic
Processes (or I would call it the book of *some* alternative
photographic processes and lots of relatively unsharp images made
with a plastic camera). Basically this calls for adding a few drops
of a 10% solution of potassium dichromate to the first
wash/development stage of vandyke.

The method did not work at all for me. Nada. At the amount suggested
by James there was no change at all in contrast of the step tablets.
With a gross increase in the amount of dichromate per liter of water
the step tablets got even flatter.

So, does this method work and I am just doing something wrong, or is
James just wrong?

Sandy King