Re: cheese and the moon. Re: Definition- landscape arguement continued

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/24/02-02:47:38 PM Z

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Shannon Stoney wrote:

> > However, for the record and the interested, I understand there's a device
> > for women warriors who want to pee over the side of a boat, or wherever.
> > Sort of a funnel. I forget what it's called. Try camping stores.
>
> Yes, I've seen that in a catalog that caters to rock climbers. But I think
> it's simpler just to wear a skirt and no underwear.

And climbing up the rock with the skirt and no underwear, aside from the
scraped bottom (and serve you right), the climber behind you (so to speak)
sells the photos to Hustler, you sue, and make your fortune?

Which is to say, this "conversation" has gotten ridiculous, but there's a
real point -- although Ms Gowin has a more amusing, and so-to-speak,
active role than W. Weston's model in the sand with (also!) her legs
spread, the fact is that both are presented as objects. This one's the
Betsy Wetsy*, the other the tele-sandy, but they are both low, so to
speak, on evolutionary scale. An earlier picture of Ms Gowen shows her
topless with a garland of flowers around her neck, another intimate body
display.

I forget the others, which were very forgettable, and Ms.Granny is dead.
So we have the one woman, meat-model wife, the other dying or dead, and
Emmett, genius photographer. Notice that we don't see him peeing -- on the
floor, or anyplace else.

Which is to say, we may joke about it in amusingly butch terms, but the
fact remains that in this culture (in fact any culture that I'm aware of)
urination is considered a private act. Any bravado on Ms. Gowen's part is
largely cancelled by the lack of symmetry in the scene. Woman pee-er, man
photograph-er. Ha ha.

And if she "had to go," presumably this successful photographer has
provided her with indoor plumbing, or if not, a dedicated outhouse of some
sort. The choice of middle of the floor in what you declare an "old house"
seems wasteful.... unless folks like living with eau d'urine. We have
enough of that in a crowded city. We prefer to promote toilet training.

*Betsy Wetsy was a doll long ago that you fed water and she peed. Very
popular... the Barbie of the 30s & 40s.

J.