tree photography --- Re: Don't forget --- Re: Your kidding, right? Re: Tele landscape

From: Jon (fotonerd@yahoo.com)
Date: 12/21/02-05:11:26 PM Z

--- Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@earthlink.net> wrote:

> One of my goals is to expand the notion of landscape to
> include tighter spaces such as exist in the southeast,
> and probably on the east coast.

So you are trying to redefine 'landscape' to include something other then
what it actually is? I think it is contradictory to try to have landscape
include 'tighter spaces'.

I am not saying that a landscape does not exist out east. That has never
been the arguement. I think the discussion is rather how the subject
matter is presented.

Can a landscape be intimate?

> But the landscape I actually live in is more
> like a path that opens onto little scenes or still lifes.

Hm. I think a mistake you are making is you say that the 'little path' is
your landscape. No. The path is a part of the landscape. Just like a
tree is a part of the landscape. But a photograph of a tree isn't a
landscape. It would be a tree photograph.

When you look at an image, if you look and say, this is a photograph of a
tree, or this is a photograph of a path, a swing, etc.. I would dare say
it isn't a landscape photograph. But if you look at a photograph and say
something like "this is a photograph of a river AND a trees AND some
clouds AND mountains, etc..... I am sure you can see where I am going with
this one. I have made many 'portraits' of rivers in my work (using the
term loosely- I don't want to start trying to define portrait)

And thus back to the original discussion, it is not common to use a
telephoto lens when making landscapes. Not impossible, just uncommon.
Thats all.

It is all about how you approach the space,the elements in the space and
how they are interpreted in the final image.

Jon