reticulation of film

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 12/19/02-09:31:06 AM Z

     I always learn from students. In my Experimental Photography class
reticulation is one of the 50 processes I teach over the course of a
semester. The method I have found to work the best is sodium carbonate and
Tri-X film. Leave the film in a sodium carbonate soak for 20 minutes, hot
water especially, and it'll develop brain-y patterns throughout. Good ol'
Arm and Hammer Washing Soda, $4 a box, will more than do. Tri-X melts
extremely well and is sensitive to chemicals, too. Tmax films never
reticulate, so I tell the students not to bother with it.
     One of my students took Tmax 100 film (sheet film), boiled it, left it
for 18 hr in sodium carbonate, then boiled it again the next day, and it DID
reticulate, so he proved me wrong. I'm inserting it in my workbook as the
"Jason Thompson" method.
Chris