Re: Tele landscape

From: Philip willarney (pwillarney@yahoo.com)
Date: 12/18/02-02:09:44 AM Z

Ok, so many messages, maybe someone has already said
this, but...

I think long focal lengths (lens or pinhole) more
accurately reproduce how the human eye works when we
look at a landscape: the combination of our focused
attention and the physically small sharp spot in our
field of vision combine to make our (well, my, I
shouldn't speak for others) almost telescopic in how I
experience sight. Which is why I think it's so hard
to take good landscapes; when we look at a big space,
we zoom our attention in on some aspect of it, and
even though we see the surrounding context less
sharply (due to the design of our eye), we think we're
seeing it all sharply at once. The camera, on the
other hand, sees everything in the same way, the same
sharpness, in a landscape.

Dang. I'm not saying this very well, someone help me
out....

-- pa