Color in the History of Alt Processes

EWRPhoto@aol.com
Date: 12/16/02-10:10:16 AM Z

One first question ever for the list....Maybe when you read it, you will
understand why I never have submitted one before.
I am very interested in the group's reaction to the uses of color in gum in
particular. This, obviously, is a very subjective thing. But when
(sometimes)we combine the old (gum) and the new (digital negatives) as many
of us are doing, we can't help but think of "old" color in the same vein as
"new" color. When I talk about "old" color I am referring to many of the
landscapes painted in the 19th century. Color mixed with atmosphere produced
a marvelous effect. Are any of you gum printers concerned with the same sense
of over-all effects of color as were produced through the history of art?
Which periods interest you? And have you come up with new ways of achieving
these? And how many of you are adding drawing and painting to your images?
I guess the strain going on about 50's color prompted me to inquire about
2003 color.
Thanks....Ernestine Ruben PS If you want to do this off list my address is
ewrphoto@aol.com

644 Pretty Brook Road
Princeton 08540 New Jersey
1 609 921 0565