Re: How to reduce paper contrast of cyanotypes

From: Shannon Stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 12/05/02-01:58:09 PM Z

>Thanks to Shannon and Sam for replying.
>
>My simple densitometer indicates a Dmax around 1.6. I find it prints
>well on multicontrast paper with no MC filters.

That seems about right for cyanotype. Maybe you aren't exposing for
enough time?

>I have tried a range of papers and get a required Dmax of about 1.2
>(step 9 on a 24 step wedge is just white). I have not found any
>Whatmans paper locally, but may try interstate suppliers if I find
>I cannot get the results otherwise.

How does step 2 and 3 look? My rule is that step 2 should merge with
step 1, and on step 3, you should just barely be able to read the
numeral 3.

>Is double coating relevant given that I use a foam brush? The maximum
>blue of my cyanotype is quite dark.
>
>I shall try the vinegar. I assume your dilutions of 1:5 are using
>a cheap table vinegar, rather than an acetic acid intended for chemical
>use. Is that right?

Right. I buy plain white vinegar in the cheap one gallon size that
people use for making pickles.

--shannon