Re: Warning: Digital Question

From: Phillip Murphy (pmurf@bellsouth.net)
Date: 12/02/02-01:05:05 PM Z

Hi Sandy,

Since you'll need to interpolate the data to scale up to 13x19, (I'm
assuming the target is for a 2880dpi or 1440dpi inkjet printer)
use the true optical resolution of the scanner. (2400spi)... If I'm not
mistaken, this scanner is capable of two pass scanning which you
can use to extend the dynamic range. I recommend Vuescan software over
Epson's. When you res-up the image in Photoshop or livepicture,
use a final ppi of 360 for the image. (this will give you slightly better
printer software interpolation). If you're using a service bureau, find
out what
they recommend as being optimum for their printer. (this could be anywhere
between 288ppi and 400ppi).

Using plug-ins such as MrSid or Genuine Fractals Print Pro (both from
LizardTech, Inc.) to res-up your image will give you a slight advantage
over
Photoshop's engine.

Needless to say, if your goal is transcribing the negative or transparency
with accuracy, a film scanner will yield superior results hands down
unless you're
working with something on the order of a Heidelberg flat-bed scanner.

best regards,

Phillip