Re: What Postmodernism Means, etc.,etc.,etc.

glehany@mac.com
Date: 08/20/02-08:15:29 AM Z

Ok time to stop lurking and risk getting shot at!

I'm always fascinated by "what is art" type discussions, but inevitably
find them quite frustrating. Firstly the NFL type analogy is, I feel,
well wide of the mark. Football is a game, with rules, clear winners
and clearly superior and inferior players. Art has none of these
characteristics. Making a distinction between "amateurs" and
"Professionals" serves mostly to dismiss the work of the former without
having to consider it.

Ultimately what is art? Certainly I don't believe it has anything to do
with "movements", or hero-worship of a few "greats". Whatever art (or
Art) is, it is the work itself, which should speak for itself. Art
historians and critics love to analyse and dissect and this can lend an
air of authority to what they say ................ but the true value of
any art is only relevant in its native form. Music should be listened
to and photography should be looked at. Anything beyond this is if
debatable value (Not valueless, but of much lesser value than the work
itself).

I am not a full time photographer. But the "mighty handful" were not
full-time composers and yet wrote great music. Irena Ratushinskaya's
poetry is so riveting, not because she knew art history and was in with
the latest trendy group ......... but because she had something to say,
she had experiences way beyond those of most of her audience. I hope I
have something to say with my pictures ......... if I don't it will be
because I don't have anything to say, not because I experience life
outside of photography.

Anyway we can all console ourselves with a quote (from a show I'm
reluctant to admit to watching) ".....Oh my god, he's not appreciated in
his own lifetime .......... I'd give anything to not be appreciated in
my lifetime" !!!

Gordon Lehany