Re: the Epson 2000P

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 04/23/02-07:19:54 PM Z

Shannon wrote:

>When you say you use the pigmented inks from Epson, do you mean
>something other than the cartridge you buy for the 2000P at a
>regular computer store like CompUSA? If so, where do you get them?
>I tried to make a black and white print on the Epson 2000 with a
>cartridge I bought for it at CompUSA, and the print had a sort of
>cyan cast to it. I scanned it in RGB and printed it with all six
>colors. I guess I just need to tinker with it to get the gray right,
>huh?

I am using the regular Epson cartridges. These contain pigmented ink
which has been rated archival for about 200 years. The only way to
make an absolutely neutral black and white print with this printer is
to use just the black ink cartridge. However, I have never in my life
wanted to make an absolutely neutral black and white print anyway so
I convert my image to Duotone in Photoshop and just play around with
the different pantones until I get a tone that I like, blue/black,
purple/black, brown/black, etc. and print in 6-color.

>I love this printer too, but I wish you could get Cone inks for it.
>Also, I don't like the vertical banding I get on Pictorico film.

I don't get any banding on Pictorico with the Epson 2000P, though
there is the granular or grainy look that I mentioned earlier.

BTW, there is a Continuous Ink Supply system for the 2000P that will
allow you to use some of the pigmented inks sold by Cone. I have
debated buying it but there is not yet much history of use and I am
concerned about clogging the nozzles of the printer with a relatively
new and untested system.

Sandy King