Re: Alt photo forums and listserve -- yech!

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 04/07/02-10:09:28 AM Z

Richard Sullivan wrote:

> Listserves hang on by habit. There are much better and more modern ways of
> doing this.

Actually, I'm not sure that's true. Lists are still the best way for
people with many different hardware/software combinations to be able to
talk to each other.

I've appreciated Richard's webboard for the ability to post images, but
otherwise the site is quite selective about what browsers it
accommodates, and as a Netscape user with a Mac, many if not most of the
site's features are unavailable to me.

And yahoo is even worse. I'm on a little group on yahoogroups and if
anyone posts an image or an attachment to the group, it comes to me as
an endless string of unreadable code which takes up to half an hour to
download.

So I'm afraid I have to view the hype about these great web-based forums
with some skepticism. The ability to post images would be nice, but I
have yet to see a webboard that is programmed openly enough to provide
real cross-platform and cross-browser compatibility, the way the web is
supposed to work.
kt