Re: Spectral density [was: Re: Inkjet transparencies ]

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 04/03/02-10:07:10 AM Z

Tom Ferguson wrote:

> I've made digital negs using Dan's color fill method for for platinum,
> cyanotype, kallitype, and gum. All have been acceptable.

Thanks, Tom. My dissatisfaction with the color fill method was for
different reasons than my dissatisfaction with the color table method.
With the color table method I couldn't get enough density (physical,
spectral or any kind) to make an image, and with the color fill method I
got too much ink, resulting in puddling and migration of ink before it
could dry. By then I'd run out of time for experimentation so had to
give it up there.

Since according to Dan's book, the printer adds black ink when printing
a color fill but not when printing a color table, I'm especially curious
about whether anyone has been able to print gum from a color table
negative, since that's a purer test of the spectral density theory.
Sandy's information about the spectral sensitivity of platinum/palladium
certainly suggests that since those processes are sensitive to a broader
range of visible light, spectral density might be more useful for them
than for the processes using dichromates.

> >From Dan's book and what I've read here, I wonder if the brand/type of ink
> isn't an important variable?? I suspect some inks block UV better than
> others (not just a color issue).

Yes, I definitely think you and Joe and Jeffrey and whoever else has
pointed this out are pointing in a useful direction.

I'm using "Darn Good Ink" from Inkjet mall
> (love that name) on an Epson 1200 printer.

If I remember right, the 1200 is a newer printer using a smaller droplet
size, which if so may explain why you can use the color fill method but
I have trouble with puddling with it, with my older printer. And then
the magic secret might be that darn good ink.
Katharine