Re: Clearing

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 09/24/01-01:53:50 PM Z

Witho wrote:
> I have difficulties clearing POP / LithiumPalladium
> on Arches platine in 4% EDTA combined with 2% Sodiumsulfite.
> 3 baths for at
> least 10 /15 minutes each, leaves still a lot gray
> (little yellowish) stain.

As Carl has mentioned, the Platine should clear rather easily in this
situation. However, gray alone or yellowish can be from incomplete
clearing. Whereas, gray can indicate fogging and yellowish is unlikely
from fogging.

To be sure run the fogging and clearing tests outlined in my on-line
guide (from link below).

The yellowish you mention would direct me toward investigating
incomplete clearing. I have never really liked the clearing agents you
are using. Maybe try a clearing bath of 2% Citric acid.

Also, note that I have tested some current Arches Platine paper samples,
given to me by Luc while in Belgium. This Platine paper gave inferior
results (blotchy, dirty look) and was definitely different from the
Platine I have purchased several years ago in the USA. Several papers
were tested together.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/