Re: Dense or Density

From: Jeff Buckels (jeffbuck@swcp.com)
Date: 11/25/01-07:28:02 PM Z

OK: I've been making the FO the night before and actually using it late morning
or so the next day.... The ambient humidity lately has been 30 to 40%. Before
coating, I humidify the paper (Platine) in front of a smallish sonic humidifier
for about a minute. After coating, I dry the paper (cold air double window fan
at four feet dries to 75% or so, then med-heat hair dryer till dry), then
re-humidify as before, then expose. The range has been pretty good, but not
great -- I'm not getting to real black black (brown brown). I used sodium
dichromate just with this one print; mind you, the brightness range of the
subject was a good stop short of normal. I exposed and developed normally,
figuring to kick up the contrast a bit with the sod dichromate. This worked
pretty good. It was not full range, but I intended the look I got (pretty much)
from the get-go. Believe me, if the exp. time hadn't been 50 minutes, I
wouldn't have thought there was a "problem"... I've only done two non-pyro
negatives. The exposure times were well within normal ranges, around 5-7
minutes.... Finally, these pyro negatives that have printed so slow in pt/pd
are correspondingly slow on Azo. For this reason, I think we can eliminate bad
FO or bad pt/pd or bad humidifying etc. ... I sure appreciate these responses.
-jb