scanning negatives

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/28/01-01:45:26 PM Z

Don Bryant wrote:
> ... I have a great need to scan B&W ...
> Any insights here would be very helpful to me and perhaps others.

The total usable range of the negative should be produced so as to
accommodate whatever scanner is to be used. In some other words, the
maximum density in your negative must be low enough so as to maintain a
good signal in the scanner. See the following link for an illustrated
example of a procedure to do this.
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/guide/digital/appendicies.htm#optimization
(If the above line wraps around, cut and paste each part to your
browser's site address window.)

In general using more range in a negative will provide better
information, but a scanner capable of more data bits and greater ability
to detect small signals will be required. Keep in mind that even
between two different scanners with the same amount of data bits,
optimization may differ due to the ability of sensors and electronics to
detect a clear signal. It is best to check this for your own situation.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/