Re: Chemistry advice

From: jportale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Date: 05/08/01-04:05:32 PM Z

The simplest and easiest way tpo balcken brass is to rough it up with some
#0000 steel wool, clean well and then spray with flat black paint.

Craig, the competition shooters use a product called "Sight Black". It is a
spray tha leaves a coating of lamp black on what ever it is applied. After
the match, they wipe it off. Those that do not want to go through all that
black parkerize their guns. I do not believe that one can parkerize brass.

If one insists on going the chemical route, I would ask around an old time
hardware store or a shop that sells patina chemicals for metals. They may
have something.

Joe Portale
Tucson, AZ