Re: Direct negatives from slides

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 03/25/01-08:22:46 AM Z

Randall Webb wrote:

>Sandy, you asked about contact negs from slides.

> No problem provided you you bear one or two things in mind.

>2. Slide film has a much lower range of tones compared to B&W film.

How is this? We generally expose B&W negative material to a maximum DR of
about 1.05 for silver, and 1.4 - 2.2 for alternative processes. Exposed and
develped slide material has a DR of up to 4.0. How could there be less
tonal range in the slide?

>4) What's all this grain thing on old proc? I thought it went with the
>territory.

What territory was that? I work primarily in 7x17 and 12X20 size and don't
worry about grain because none is there with contact prints. When working
in smaller formats I work to avoid it, although I admit that it can be
interesting with some subjects.

>Finally - -a warning. Nearly all Terry King's negs were derived from colur
>slides and look where it got him.

I presume there is a lesson of some type (ethical, moral, practical??) in
the above statement? Dare I ask what it is?

Sandy King