Re: Daguerreotype/Cold-Mercury development

From: Phillip Murphy (pmurf@bellsouth.net)
Date: 03/23/01-07:32:40 AM Z

Hello Manuel,
Another "alternative" worth investigating is to fume your plates with
mercury that is released from an amalgamated plate of mercury and
silver.
Essentially, this is done by creating an amalgamated plate with a
discarded Dag plate that a single drop of mercury has been evenly rubbed
over the surface of the plate until it has created an amalgam layer. An
apparatus is constructed that holds the amalgam plate and your exposed
Daguerreotype plate in very close proximity to one another and is
air-tight. The back of the amalgam plate is heated evenly to the
requisite temperature and timed. The timing is critical. Properly
constructed, a unit like this will release a very minimum amount of
mercury fumes to the local atmosphere. The amalgam plate is good for
approximately five Dags. Time constraints prevent me from elaborating
further on this method; it was developed by Rene Smets in Belgium. All
the best, and to answer your question re: the best method. Each
technique is capable of it's own sublime beauty; try them all; you will
evolve your own working methods.