Re: Still on Copyright

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 03/10/01-08:54:05 AM Z

It's money that makes it different. In Joe's example the person is
selling the CD of information. Nick's example simply sends information
to a new person to the list, which isn't different in my mind than the
transfer involved in posting to the list in the first place. But when
someone takes that information and incorporates it into their own work,
with or without attribution, or posts it on a website, with or without
attribution, or otherwise uses it in ways that are by law reserved to
the owner of the copyright, then it becomes an issue. A couple of people
have written to me asking to cite information I've shared here, with
proper attribution of course, in a book or magazine article they are
writing. I've given permission gladly, but I do expect to be asked. And
no, no copyright notice is necessary. Most countries now go by the Berne
Conventions (which took effect in the US in 1989); according to those
conventions a copyright notice is no longer necessary in order for
something to be considered copyrighted.
Katharine Thayer