[P-F] Re: Large negatives for gum printing

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/03/01-04:06:17 PM Z

Sorry Dianna, I wrote that late at night (or early in the morning) &
didn't have strength to write out The World Journal of Post-Factory
Photography. I'm also leery of seeming to excessively plug this pub.
However, it exists, and others as well as yours truly have labored
mightily to get this sort of relevant, specific, DETAILED, and timely data
into print in coherent form. (Even the BEST book [pace Randall], must
perforce take a more general view, especially when dealing with *factory*
materials.)

As for "reversal," that's a way of going directly from (usually a small)
negative to (usually a large) negative, eliminating the interpositive.
Kodak and company used to make films, also kits, to do that. No surprise,
they are all but discontinued now, very expensive, of limited contrast
range, and also in limited sizes.

Liam Lawless, English alchemist-genius, devised a way of reversal with
more or less "regular" darkroom material (so bichromate and sulfuric
aren't exactly *regular* but for alt photographers common enough), AND --
using Freestyle lith film for about, like Christina says, 75 cents per
11x14 inch sheet. Last I bought Kodak duplicating it was $4 per 8x10, and
that was 10 years ago. True, the duplicating film is easier: It would have
to be or who would bother with it, because it ALSO doesn't keep very well.
I've had to throw out last 5 or 6 sheets of a 25-sheet box.

Liam's early version of the process appeared in P-F #2, but he kept
refining it, so we had 2 updates, one in #3, and a "One Flash Fits All"
simplification-finale in #4. I gather there's been a general spreading of
usage, and I THINK it's also slated to go to a website near you within
forseeable future.

Meanwhile, I'll send you P-F info offlist, and mention (as I probably have
before), it's OK folks, I lose money on every issue I mail.

cheers,

Judy