Re: negative repair

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/20/01-09:03:55 PM Z

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:

> Matthew Hoffman wrote:
> > ... I've tried spotting negatives with india ink, but
> > it's hard to control. Even with a fine sable brush, I tend to wind up with
> > ink blobs that are worse than the original defects. Is there a more precise
> > approach?
>
> Try using Kadak's Crocein Scarlet.
> One way to apply is similar to Spot Tone:
> Mix solution; spread onto glass or plastic sheet and let dry;
> using damp (not wet) brush, pick up some of that spread and apply as

Kodak hasn't made crocein scarlet for probably 20 years & we see why -- no
profit in it: was so concentrated one bottle lasts a lifetime. The camera
store has (or used to have) Dyene in red, works the same way -- I'd guess
it's a much diluted version of crocein. Also vegetable dye for cake icing
similar. Red opaque is (in my experience) harder to use as a tint. More
likely to print white. That's easy to retouch in the finished print, but
with a dye it's (at least theoretically) possible to get a half tone.

Judy