Re: Gum arabic with Cyanotype emulsion

From: Andre Fuhrmann (Andre.Fuhrmann@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: 01/24/01-04:47:19 AM Z

>On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Don Bryant wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I noticed a note a alt proces source that mentioned using a drop or two of
>> gum arabic in the emulsion mix for cyanotype printing. Does this help
>> coating the paper? What is the benefit as far as the look of the print? Does
> > anyone use this technique?

I used it regularly when I started with cy and VDB -- and almost
completely gave up on it. After some experimenting I found that the
most basic versions of these processes worked best for me: no sizing,
no gum, no Tween, no bichromate. There is one exception: if you
"must" use a paper that tends to be soaky (eg Japanese or Chinese
papers), then adding gum can help keeping more of the emulsion on the
surface. This is more important though for VDB than for cy.

If you want to see drastically different results with these
processes, then the variable most easily and consistently to change
is not the one or two drops of this or that but -- the paper (as Judy
repeatedly pointed out).

André