Re: Salt prints??

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/21/01-12:04:16 PM Z

At 2001/02/21 07:06 AM -0700, Joe Portale wrote: (just a small portion)

> > Second, is sodium chloride okay for salting (as said in "spirits of
> salts")?
>
>Yes, plain sodium chloride is appropriate. Most of the more "modern"
>formulas use sodium citrate and aluminum chlroide. If you decide to use the
>citrate/chloride route, keep them in the same proportions.

Do you mean "ammonium chloride"? That's what I use. Mixing the citrate and
aluminum chloride would precipitate Aluminum citrate, which is not very
soluble.

Just one other point: in my work, the use of a simple gold toner is
critical, as otherwise the image is not archival.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org
silh@earthlink.net