Re: NY Times review of"Photography: Processes, Preservation and Conservation" exhibit

From: Pam Niedermayer (pam_pine@cape.com)
Date: 02/11/01-09:58:15 AM Z

OTOH, sometimes if the process is explained fully the viewers will wax
on about how brave, dangerous, difficult, time consuming, to the
exclusion of serious consideration of the images, content or
presentation. Long ago I saw a Eugene Smith exhibit in a small museum
near Boston (De Cordova - Lincoln, MA) for which the curator had done
a wonderful job describing his life, the physical beating(s) he'd
taken over Minimata (sp?), mercury poisoning, his developing/printing
process, etc.

While I was standing there studying the images for quite a while,
everyone who stopped for a moment read this, glanced at a couple of
prints, made some comment about "...wow, he risked his life for his
art...", and walked on. They said nothing about the subjects who'd
been victimized (which was probably Gene Smith's point and the reason
for risking his life), nothing about the prints themselves (which were
gorgeous technically), nothing about photographic journalism, nothing
about methodology.

What's my point? I don't know yet, still thinking this through, but
wondering whether we photographers, who by necessity are wrapped up in
process much of the time, have a grip on what the average art patron
or more casual viewer is interested in reading and seeing. Are the
serious (enough to attend an exhibit) photography viewing public
almost all photographers at some level?

Pam

--
Pamela G. Niedermayer