Printers

Hi Everyone --

I've searched the archive, but am just coming up with too many results to
wade through.  I apologize in advance if this has been discussed at length
and I missed it -- I seem to recall a thread on this topic a while back!

I will soon be buying a new printer.  Right now, I do SX-70 manipulations --
but will in the next 6 months or so also begin doing image and emulsion
transfers.  As such, i think I may have different printer needs from a lot
of you.  I print mostly on watercolor/charcoal/handmade papers -- not
generally photo paper, although I can't say I never will print on photo
paper.  There may be times I want a more photographic look to a print.

I've done some research on dye sub as well as ink jet printers, but I am
feeling lost in all the information -- there are so many out there at such a
wide range of prices.  I guess my primary requirement is for it to print in
archival quality.  If I am going to sell my work, I feel I should be
printing in that quality.  Am I wrong?  I am not TOO tied to a price limit
-- if there's a reason to go higher end and spend a little more, I can do
that.  I'd prefer to NOT do that at this time, but I could be convinced
otherwise.

I guess my question is this:  What do *you* use and why?

All advice is greatly appreciate as I move into new territory.  Feel free to
email me off list if I am covering recently covered ground!

Thanks,

Patty

p.s. - On the scanner front, I recently purchased an Epson Perfection 1200.
It is AWESOME.  I cannot believe how fast it is and how intuitive the
software is.  It has made scanning a very easy task.  I bought it on eBay.

Patricia Figliola Lewis
Email: pflewis@hotmail.com
Web: http://members.tripod.com/~pflewis/
AOL Instant Messenger: pattyfigliola