Re: why not small prints?

Shannon,

As Bill Collins said, there is probably no answer to this. Yet, I would
venture a guess that the common idea of "bigger is better" is a hold over
from painting and drawing. And can be seen as a function over form thing.
Westerners seem to have a problem with getting up close and intimate with
just about everything, so why wouldn't photographs be included.
Additionally, have we all not seen large pictures referred to as "gallery
prints"? I could be way off base with this but, there is probably more sales
of couch art (the piece that one hangs on the wall behind the sofa) than
other forms. This way the owner can view the image from the safety of the
other side if the room. In this we could say that the market is driving
print size. The other side of this is image size can be driven by function.
The placing of large prints in a narrow hallway will be counter productive.
I once attended a gallery show that placed an immense Longo drawing in a
four foot wide hallway. It was ludicrous placement. What made it worse was
that it was the only thing in the hall. Obviously the idea was to "get up
and personal" with the work. Didn't work. In general it would be safe to say
that we Westerners are obsessed with the bigger is better mind set. You
don't have to be from Texas to subscribe to this. What I am feebly trying to
say is that the large picture preference is a cultural thing.

One of the most successful shows I have ever seen was all made up of small
4X5 gum prints. The images were of a very personal  and intimate  nature.
The prints were mounted in 16X20 over mats. The prints were like tiny jewels
floating in the sea of white. These prints called to the viewer to get up
close and look at me. It worked exceedingly well. I doubt that these images
would have worked larger.

You stated that your images were primarily landscapes. For many people the
idea of small landscapes is counter intuitive. Could it be conditioning
again? Is it one of those old tired rules of photography, like the one third
rule, that landscapes must be huge to show the grandeur of nature? (A hold
over from the Saint Ansel school of thought)

FWIW, you do what pleases you. Don't worry about the opinions of others. You
are your toughest audience. If you are making art to please others, you are
begging for problems and let downs. Do what you do for yourself, everything
else will fall into place.