Re: to squabble or not. - Bob is reinventing history,does anybody care?

First of all, I commented to Linda privately help to stop this thread. It
is painbfully clear to me that no one wants information rewgarding the
materials they use.

I no longer will tend to the flock and with the exception of this last
reply, I will not comment further on this list.. Linda, you could have
answered my e-mail privately and help stop this thread. But since you
insist of trying to pin me to the wall, I will address you here for the
last time.

I SAID:

"I never said to stay away from these chemicals. I only tried to impress
upon  how problematic they can be. It is simple: keep a vacuously clean
work area, make sure you do not allow children to handle these chemicals,

understand any antidote requirements, keep airborne dust at a very
minimum,
do not dump the crap down a drain - dispose of in a recommended manner.
Keep poison control phone numbers handy, wear gloves, apron and eye
protection, learn all potential reactants, and do not experiment without
knowing what you are doing."

I assume you feel this is just plain silly, huh?

>>Baloney, Bob.  What you actually DID say was:
>>"Do NOT assume {dichromate] is safer than other ingredients used in
>>ceramics. Simply not the case.<snip>"As for common glaze ingredients -
yes, there are potential hazards. but nothing like Dichromate"

Most on this list use chemicals in solution and do not add an additional
step like firing, as in the case with ceramics. When you fire this
material, problems are very different. When I commented about ceramics -
I made a distinction between the processes. And I stand by my comment
about not dichromates being different. All you or anyone has to do is a
little study and learn something. Dichromates.

>>You are wrong.  As has been pointed out, not only are many glazes more
>>hazardous, but the dichromate has been mostly washed away by the time
the
>>firing begins.

This is not always the case. Most might wash out, but some material still
remains. This is enough to cause concern. EVERYTHING I have ever read
about Photo ceramic techniques points out the problems with firing
emulsions containing dichromates. You have most likely not used this
process (Photo-ceramics) so I do not expect you to come from a  deep
knowledge base. You are simply repeating something you heard. Tell me I
am wrong, and I will retract. As for me, I HAVE USED THE PROCESS. I also
have decades of experience in chemical handling. It is what I do and what
I teach.

One can use them safely, but you need to know what you are doing and the
potential issues involved.

END OF COMMENTS REGARDING THIS ISSUE.