Re: registering paper negatives

> I found this, for some reason in the "postpone" file... It may still have
> some relevance...
>
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Sarah Van Keuren wrote:
>
>> The practice of punching holes in the margins of a print destroys some of
>> the 'object quality' (a term I picked up somewhere and liked) of the print,
>> INHO. Although I write notes describing each layer of the print in pencil
>

> Punching holes in print margin was so unthinkable I missed that. Tho some
> folks trim sheet to size of contact frame, even, I kid you not -- OVERMAT !
>
> Judy

 I have written before that I too overmat my prints and do not rely on
brushstrokes in margins to support my images, but in the course of printing
from hundreds of pinhole negatives I handle my prints all the time and they
are sometimes seen by others as loose prints. If I have a choice I'd rather
not have holes in my quarter sheets of BFK because I find them jarring and
mechanical. Why not register by eye if possible?

Sarah

P.S. I may have to eat those words now that I am using digital negatives
whose borders are very different from those of my 8x10 pinhole negatives
shot in film holders. Some new system needs to be worked out.