Re: Alltime Best B/W Film & Paper Combination

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/20/00-10:20:29 PM Z

This seems like an interesting topic so I'll throw in my two cents.

I would say that the all time best depends on what you are trying to do. For
example, when I make negatives for alternative process I do
something quite different than when I work with silver/gel.

In my case for alternative process, in-camera negatives I prefer
Ilford FP4 sheet film developed in an old amidol formula or D23 two bath. I
get the density and really great tonal range I need for
platinum, cyanotype and VDB.

For silver/gel, I have more than one favorite. Lets start with Tri-X and D76
which still gives great tonal range even though there is
more grain than you get with modern films. I fooled around with the
T-max films for several years. Never really liked T-Max 100 but
T-Max 400 was and is a good film with tonal range similar to Tri-X
but without the grain. However, T-Max developer always gave me some
backgroud fog no matter what I did.

When Xtol developer came out I ran some tests between T-Max and HP5
and liked the Ilford film better. Lately I have been using Ilford
Pan F (great stuff but slow), FP4 (very nice medium speed) and
HP5 (very much like Tri-X with less grain) all developed in Xtol
and am very pleased with them all but like the Pan F best since I
have made some really nice enlarged negs with it.

I don't do a lot of fine art silver gel printing. Most of my printing
is straight commercial type stuff and I use Ilford Polymax with
Dektol. Both Kodak and Ilford have some nice fiber base fine art
papers. For me its a toss up but I guess I would go with Galerie
for cold tone. I use Dektol with it and sometimes dump some Potassium
Bromide or Sodium Carbonate solution in it.

Sometimes when long tonal range is not important I will make positives
on Ilford Polymax RC and then contact print them on ortho to get large
negs.

Bob Schramm