Workshop announcement

From: Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Date: 09/06/00-07:58:42 PM Z

Greetings-

"BEYOND BLACK AND WHITE" -

A workshop for artists who wish to explore the possibilities that exist for
further development of a black and white image.

Where & When:

October 11-15, 2000 at Colorado Mountain College/ Breckenridge. The class
will run from 9AM-2PM daily, allowing participants plenty of time to explore
(and to photograph) this exquisitely beautiful country (Breckenridge is
10,000 ft high in the Rockies, very near the continental divide).

During the course of this we will cover a variety of specialty toning
processes for gelatin-silver papers with special emphasis on split-toning
techniques. A significant portion of the class will also be spent exploring
the mordancage process. The use of low-tech, plastic "Diana" cameras will
be encouraged during the class.

This workshop might be thought of as "alt-processes" for commercially
available papers and is recommended for persons wishing to take their
photography out of the realm of "document" and into the realm of "image."

The class will cover, among numerous other processes, the GP-1 gold
split-toning process I use for much of my own work. ("Split-toning"
achieves an exotic range of colors and hues through the chemical action of
the toner or toners).

MORDANCAGE is a variation on the ancient "etch/bleach" process and is the
name given to this particular variation by Jean-Pierre Sudre in France. It
is a process which, to put it in the simplest of terms, reduces an image to
its graphic elements - often with exotic toned effects as well. Best known
practitioners of this process (all students of Sudre's) include Pierre-Louis
Martin in France and both Elizabeth Opalenick and Craig Stevens here in the
US.

For more information about this class you may contact me
mailto:quryhous@midcoast.com. For class registration and Breckenridge
accommodation information contact Tom Hart at: mailto:thart@coloradomtn.edu

Thanks-

Jonathan Bailey