Re: What is pee oh are en?

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Linda Phillips wrote:

> Judy sneered:
>
> "If Gary could only get Henry Hyde on his tail, he'd be one lucky fella.
> Hyde *made* careers for Jock Sturges and Karen Finlay, among several other
> lacklustre and listless folks who owe glorious careers to the
> indefatiguable senator. "
>

> One indefatiguable rule when using sarcasm is that to be effective, you must
> get your facts straight.  Henry Hyde, an esteemed member of the House of
> Representatives from Chicago, bears little resemblance to, and should not be
> confused with the blowhard Neanderthal senator from North Carolina, Jesse
> Helms.

Well if you mean "irrevocable" rule you may be right, but let me explain
that (tho of course the careless mistake was hardly my shining moment),
Henry Hyde is less esteemed in some circles than others. For instance (are
we off topic yet?) my first acquaintance with his estimable person was in
the 1970s when most of my PTA (if you could believe) mobilized in a
(forlorn) effort to fight the notorious Hyde Amendment. I don't remember
the details of that pernicious legislation, but it was calculated to deny
poor women the abortions well-to-do women took as their birthright.

However, I just asked my daughter, who was a reporter for the Chicago
Tribune for 8 years, what she knew about the estimable Henry Hyde. She
answered (distractedly) "he had a problem." So long ago she couldn't
remember details: "either financial abuse or pedophilia." Whether
this confusion is grounds for sarcasm or an apt reflection on current
journalism, I cannae say. But, she added, "everyone from Illinois had some
kind of scandal at the time, from Rostenkowski on down."

While confessing error, however, I recall a far worse one -- from pure
overreaching more than careless distraction. I mixed up John the Baptist
with Herod (or somebody like that. My bible skills are weak.) In print.
And NOT ONE PERSON picked it up.

So thanks, Linda.