Re: Eyeball densitometry

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 05/18/00-12:18:45 AM Z

In a message dated 5/17/00 6:10:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, erobkin@uwc.edu
writes:

> In fact Kodak sells (or used to sell) a printed density step card with holes
> punched in the middle of each step. The eye is even more sensitive to
> seeing if the tone showing through the hole matches the tone around the
> hole. I believe these were intended for use with prints or with printed
> ink.

Yes, it is mainly for reflected prints. You can look at the print tone
through the hole and compare with the known value of the surrounding patch.
With transmissive materials, this is not possible because the surrounding
patch will be transparent so it will be affected by the tone beneath it.

> DIY project maybe? Cottage industry for someone on the alt list? How do
> you calibrate a DIY one without access to a "real" densitometer?

The easiest way is to calibrate an exposure meter (for example, an Ilford
EM-10 which sells for under $30). You can use a step tablet and match the
dial numbers to the steps... then you have an inexpensive and quite accurate
online densitometer.

Dave Soemarko