Re: Selenium

Rod Fleming wrote:

>Hi Sandy
>
>If you are going to go to the length of making up toner, perhaps a safer
>route might be to make up Gold Chloride toner. All the chems are available
>and given the very toxic nature of selenium (especially in powder form) this
>might be a Good Idea. All the sources I have read on toning salt prints
>recommend gold toning rather than selenium anyway.

Rod,

Yes, I am sure gold toning (or platinum) is the way to go with salted
paper, and I bought some gold choloride  to mix a gold toner. However, gold
toner is rather expensive as you know and I don't really have the salted
paper technique down well enough to want to waste gold toner on the prints
I am currently making!.

However, selenium appears to be a lot more toxic than I had imagined so I
don't think I will be going there either!

Sandy King

BTW, Argyrotype